Friday, November 9, 2012

Disaster Relief Team from Oklahoma



Last Sunday, November 4th the Disaster Relief Team from Oklahoma arrived to assist with clean-up and food distribution following the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. NMBC is honored to be “home” to these 100+ volunteers. There are three “sub-teams”: the Kitchen Team which is currently preparing thousands of meals a day being distributed by the Red Cross, the Chainsaw Team cleaning up fallen trees and limbs, and the Mud-out team cleaning out homes that were flooded. You can read more about the relief work throughout the greater Middletown area here.

One way NMBC has been able to serve on mission alongside the disaster relief team has been to accompany assessors. Assessors go out each morning to the hardest hit communities looking for ways to serve. If there is work that can be done by either the chainsaw team or mud-out team an assessment is written up and given to the appropriate team leader. This has also provided an opportunity to get clothing, food and other necessities that have been donated directly to those in need. As well, we’ve offered the FMC as a shelter or helped those in need find a shelter. While out serving our community the disaster relief team is often asked “Why They Are Here?” Here’s their answer from the information they leave with those they meet:
 
Often people ask what brought us here, why we’re doing what we’re doing. There are three simple reasons I came to serve others this week…

I met God one day, and He has changed my life. I used to live my life pretty selfishly. Then I met the God of the Bible. Now I care about people and meeting their needs in a brand new way.

I want you to see God’s love in my service.  Jesus said, “in the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16, NIV). I want you to know that I’m serving others because of God’s love in my life.

I hope you will want to know more about how to have a personal relationship with God.  If you have a few minutes, I’d be happy to talk with you about knowing God personally through Jesus.

SBC Disaster Relief teams from various states are working throughout New Jersey and New York. Here’s a video from the Indiana Team working in Keansburg.


No comments: