Thursday, November 19, 2009

A People Loved by God



By Julie Hartley

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:4-7

Someone once asked me the question, “If Jesus Christ were to walk through the door right now, would you gladly give up the Holy Spirit to have Him remain on earth?” What a hard question! Jesus Christ, Lord of all Creation; King of the Universe; the “Great I Am” enters a room and I can touch Him, see Him, hear the timbre of His voice and you ask me to choose between Him and the Holy Spirit? Tell you right now, my flesh would like Jesus to stay right here! Think about it, how cool! “Jesus, our finances are kind of tight right now, would you mind moving that mountain?” Or how about this, “Jesus, my child/friend/spouse is really struggling with ______ right now, would you mind following them very close? I think if they could just see you in person, conviction would come.” Finally, how about this, “Jesus, I know you say that you have a plan and a purpose for my life, a plan to prosper me and not to harm me, a plan to give me a hope and a future... but my life has been hard and I have been hurt, it’s no wonder I am such a mess! So rather than walk by faith, I would rather you just show me each step and we will discuss whether I have the courage to follow.”

You get the picture, Jesus knew he had to accomplish what he set out to do: shed His innocent blood on the cross, overcome death and Hades and ascend again into heaven to seat Himself at the right hand of the Father as a righteous judge and intercessor for you and I. It was because of mercy that he left us so that the Holy Spirit would come and fill our spirit. He would then wash us with new life and refresh our minds. The Holy Spirit would be our counselor and friend, speaking not His own words, but only what He hears the Father speak. Then and only then, since we have already been justified by the grace of Christ, he would help us to look a lot more like someone in the family of God by cultivating in our lives His fruit... you know, a little love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control... gives us a whole lot more to rejoice about in eternal life!

Ah Lord God, you knew that there would be nothing about me that resembled you when you chose to save me, yet because of your great love you redeemed me anyway and filled me with your amazing Holy Spirit! All I am asking for today, is that somehow, in some way you give me the opportunity to look a whole lot more like YOU to somebody. People are hurting all around me. Renew me by your Holy Spirit. I desire to do your will, O Lord! In Jesus name, Amen!

Read Titus 3:1-15.

No comments: