Thursday, November 5, 2009

Keep Your Elbows Off The Table


By Trish Olkowski

… you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. 1 Timothy 3:15

“Keep your elbows off the table, use your napkin ~ not your sleeve, chew with your mouth closed, say excuse me.” Why do we keep instructing our kids over and over again? It’s with the hope and intention that when they are out in public or a guest in somebody’s home they will behave appropriately. We see their behavior as a reflection of our home, our family. It’s the same with God’s family. Our behavior and actions matter. They are a reflection of God and His family. That’s why Paul writes in I Tim 3:14-15, “I am writing these things to you now, even though I hope to be with you soon, so that if I am delayed, you will know how people must conduct themselves in the household of God.” Paul is giving instructions to the people so that we know how we are to behave as children of God, members of His household.

We are all in process- all on a journey to be more like Christ. None of us have arrived. Paul makes it abundantly clear. We are not saved by doing good or “behaving ourselves”. We are saved by grace. (Ephesians 5:8, Titus 4-5) But as members of God’s household we are to do good. Paul writes to Titus, he is “to teach them to know the truth that shows them how to live godly lives” and “as for you, Titus, promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching.” (Titus 1:1, 2:1)

So when I fail to conduct myself like a member of God’s household, I do more than just “break a rule”. I embarrass my Daddy’s family name. And that should break my heart. I know that I can never add to the amount of love God has towards me by doing good, but I want to live in such a way as to make my Daddy proud and bring honor to the family name.

Read 1 Timothy 3:1-16.

No comments: