Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Good Shepherd


By Josh Pie’

I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. John 10:14-16

In English class I learned that where two phrases are separated by a semicolon, we can understand that the second phrase is explaining the first. So I’d say that the first sentence in today’s scripture has Jesus explaining two of the reasons why he is a good shepherd:

1. He knows his sheep and His sheep know him.

2. He lays down his life for his sheep.

That Jesus laid down his life through crucifixion should never cease to evoke praise. But today we will focus on the reason why we as Christ-followers are given a barometer for gauging their earthly shepherds; that is, anyone believing they are called to shepherd, ought to compare himself to the shepherd Jesus. If, after considering these verses he finds that his flock does not follow him, because they do not hear the voice of Christ in him (John 10:5) then he is not a shepherd, he is a stranger. He can’t know any flock anywhere because he isn’t called to shepherd. Similarly, as a member of a flock, ask yourself whether you recognize the voice of Christ in your shepherd-leader? If you don’t, then ask yourself Why? If it’s unresolved sin in your own life then don’t blame the leader or pastor or second guess his calling. Instead, repent and clean out your ears so that you can recognize Jesus voice and properly follow as a good sheep should.

Here’s another thought:

We don’t always grasp the gravity of Jesus multifaceted mission on earth. In a large sense He came to offer a way for sinners to be reconciled to a sinless God. But in a very real way Jesus also came to represent the Father to us (John 1:14). Now, it’s arguably common knowledge that there is this mysterious fact about there being only one God represented in three persons...so it make sense that each of the three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) would be in cahoots with each other, knowing each other pretty well. But what strikes me is that in the Scripture for today, Jesus (the Good Shepherd) tells us (His sheep) that we can know Him as He, (the Son) knows God (the Father). Wow! When I think about this, I am overwhelmed, but also convicted of my own failures - I am the reason that I can’t seem to hear what God is saying about a certain matter. Jesus says we can know His heart on any issue we wrestle with, just as He knew the Father’s heart as He walked around the streets of Israel. But we have to listen (John 10:3) and follow His lead (John 10:4). As you seek to gain experience in recognizing Jesus voice, look back over your life as a Christ-follower… where have you prayerfully made decisions that you look back on as being good, or right? It was the voice of the Lord that led you then. It will be the same voice in the future. Recognize it.

Lastly, this passage notes other sheep not of this sheep pen, which I believe is referring to the fact that this knowledge of Jesus that I have been talking about is meant for everybody, not just the Jews that Jesus was directly speaking to in John chapter ten. For a closer look at this concept, see the October 27th entry by Pastor Paul on Ephesians 3:2-6.

Read John 10:1-42

No comments: