Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Keep Watch Over Your Souls


Pastor Mike

Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. Acts 20:28

What saddens me most is seeing someone who was once passionate about following Christ now living either complacent or rebellious toward the things of God. This sadness is compounded when it is someone who once held leadership in the church.

Several years ago, I interviewed a young woman who wanted to volunteer at the youth center I directed. When she was in high school she committed her life to Christ and for a season followed strong after him. Like the rocky soil Jesus describes in Mark 4:5 her devotion was not long lasting. Now in her twenties, she recounted the years she lived drifting away from Christ with great lament.

Then she said, “I could never again walk away from Christ.”

While I applauded her resolve I cautioned her. There is not one of us who is beyond drifting away from Christ. Even the apostle Paul wrote, “No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” (1 Corinthians 9:27).

This is the message that the church at Ephesus, especially its overseers, needed to hear and it’s a message you and I need to hear as well. Pay careful attention to yourselves! The most important thing you have to offer anyone is your walk with Christ.

Take some time today to evaluate your soul. Is there any area that needs attention?

How are you and God doing?

How and when are you taking time to listen to God by spending time in the word and prayer?

Does your family and those closest to you see you as self-reliant, or dependent upon God?

How your family’s spiritual needs are being met?

What is one area in which God is calling you to grow?
Read Romans 12:1-21.

No comments: