Friday, May 17, 2013

Similarities between Jonah and the Elder Brother of Luke 15

Many have observed similarities between Jonah's attitude in Jonah 4 and the elder brother in Jesus' parable of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32.

Jonah 4:1, "But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry." (ESV) (He was angry because "God relented" from judging Nineveh (3:10)

Luke 15:28, "But he (the elder brother) was angry and refused to go in."

Jonah 4:2, "O Lord, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country? That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish..."

Luke 15:29, (Father) "Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat..."

Jonah 4:9, "But God said to Jonah..."

Luke 15:28b, "His father came out and entreated him..."

Listen to the following message given by Matt Chandler at the Legacy Conference. Compare the reaction of the elder brother in Luke 15 with that of Jonah in Jonah 4.

 

No comments: