Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Tribute to Howard Hendricks

Today thousands of people will gather at Stonebriar Community Church in Frisco, Texas to remember and thank God for the life and ministry of Howard Hendricks. Hendricks was a professor at Dallas Theological Seminary who for over sixty years passionately lived out 2 Timothy 2:2. He accepted John Walvoord's invitation to teach part-time at the seminary, not because of a desire to be a professor, but because he envisioned being able to multiply himself to equip "10 pastors." God honored his faith and by the time he retired from faculty responsibilities in 2011 he had equipped more than 10,000 pastors!


Hendricks served as the chaplain to the Dallas Cowboys from 1976 to 1984, authored 18 books and preached in over 80 countries. He encouraged many ministries such as Cru, the Navigators, FCA and Young Life.  Asked about the success of his ministry he replied, "Once a believer really gets to see what the Lord can do through him or her, at whatever stage in life, they're going to get excited about getting out there in the battle. It's all about being a servant of Christ." Read more here.

Twenty-nine years ago I was new to Christ and excited to live out my faith in high school.  I attended a student leadership weekend with the youth ministry Action-Impact. I remember being incredibly honored and anxious. Honored because I wanted to make a difference for Christ and thrilled that anyone would invite me to be a part of a leadership team. Anxious because I was timid and unsure of myself.

That weekend we listed to cassette tapes of messages by Howard Hendricks on the letters 1 and 2 Timothy. I was captivated by those messages. 

--Timothy was passionate about Christ but timid. Paul encouraged him to remember, “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV)

--Timothy was a young man called to lead those who were older. Paul challenged, “Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe.” 1 Timothy 4:12 (NAS)

--Timothy was often shy and anxious. Paul caringly instructed him, “Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.” 1 Timothy 5:23 (NIV)

I remember the details of these messages because they made such an impact on my life. I came away from that weekend convinced that God could and would use me. I met Howard Hendricks a few years later as a freshman in Bible College and had the opportunity to thank him for his messages on Timothy.




No comments: