Sunday, August 8, 2010

Disciple (Week Six)-- Come and Die Questions for Reflection and Discussion

Week Six: Surrenders/Sacrifices/Commits

1. The message, The Disciple Surrenders, sacrifices and commits is based on Jesus’ teaching in Luke 9:23-27. Read Luke 9:21-22. What insight does this context give to understanding what follows?

Read Luke 9:23-27.

2. The cross in Jesus’ day was an instrument of execution, much like our electric chair. What does Jesus mean by “take up his cross and follow me”?
3. What are to two ways of taking up one’s cross?
4. Ask yourself the following questions:
o Am I willing to risk my reputation and be rejected by others?
o Am I ready to sacrifice the temporal for what is eternal?
o Am I willing to let go of what is most precious to me?

5. What can be learned about discipleship from Jesus’ responses to the three excuses?
6. Are you ready to “go and die?” If not, what do you yet need to see from Jesus?

No comments: