Friday, June 4, 2010

"A man just like us..."

James says that Elijah “was a man just like us.” (James 5:17) Since Elijah was not some sort of “super hero” with a big “S” painted on his chest, what was it about his faith that allowed him to experience God in a big way? As I have spent time over the past week in 1 Kings I believe at least part of the answer was Elijah’s sense of expectancy. When Elijah went up against the 400 prophets of Baal he expected God to show up in a big way. (1 Kings 18)

Am I expecting God to show up? A couple of weeks ago when Kyle was baptized I expected God to show up and He did! I talked with him several times throughout the week, knew his story, how God used Ray Doolittle and others to bring him to Christ and was confident that God would use this story for His glory. By the time Sunday rolled around, I couldn’t wait for everyone else to hear what I heard… I came to church with a great sense of expectancy and was not disappointed.

What about this weekend? How am I expecting God to show up? Or for that matter, next week’s life group gathering… family devotions… my one-on-one time with God? Of course, God showing up is not always the spectacular. This too we learn from Elijah who in 1 Kings 19 experiences God in a “gentle whisper” (1 Kings 19:12). Nevertheless, God showed up.

How do we foster a greater sense of expectancy in our communities? James 5:17 says that Elijah “prayed earnestly.” It seems to me that’s the place to start. For all the preparation and work we put into our group gatherings… let’s make sure we are doing the most important thing and that is praying earnestly for God to show up in the lives of the men and women entrusted to us… and then expecting God to do so.

No comments: