Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wedding Day


By Kate Schoeppner Wedding Day
“Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.” Revelations 19:7

It seems that summer is the season of weddings. Of the four siblings and I in my family, three had summer weddings, one winter, and one fall.
Craig and I were married on a gloriously warm day in June, 13 years ago. I remember all of the planning that went into making the day “just right”. There was so much to do, it seemed. Dresses had to be chosen, then tried on and ordered, cake had to be tasted and then ordered, flowers had to be smelled and then ordered, music had to be listened to and then practiced… the list goes on and on.

But for me, the bride? I can’t really remember the countless hours that I spent getting myself ready; searching for the perfect dress, shoes to match, the right shades of eye shadow, nail polish and lipstick, having my nails and hair done… everything had to be perfect, right down to the very last detail. I was prepared, for I wanted to be the beautiful bride for my husband. I remember the excitement in the air that day. I remember the moment our eyes met…

I wonder how Craig would have felt if I had showed up in my pajamas that day? Hair pulled up in a ponytail wearing fuzzy slippers? Ok, that may seem silly, but I wonder… how would he have felt? Revelations 19:7 states, “Let us be glad and rejoice, and let us give honor to Him. For the time has come for the wedding feast of the Lamb, and His bride has prepared herself.”

Are you prepared? Really prepared? Have you focused on the details? Have you spent hours upon hours getting ready for the wedding feast that you will one day experience with your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Have you really gotten to know who He is and prepared yourself for Him? Not because of the things you have done, so to say, but inside… have you prepared your heart? I know that I am looking forward to that day, with much anticipation, much as I did when I was the bride-to-be waiting for my walk down the aisle. I want to be prepared, I want to feel the excitement as my eyes meet the eyes of Jesus, but many days I find myself feeling like the bride in pajamas. Do you?

Lord, help me today to prepare for our feast. Search my heart and reveal any wrong motives within me. Lord, as I open your Word and I read Your truths, help them to sink down in to the deepest parts of my heart. Change me today, Lord, so that I may begin the preparation.

Read Revelation 19:1-10.

No comments: