Thursday, February 9, 2012

Men's Breakfast-- This Saturday, February 11th @ 8:00 AM

In his book Wild at Heart John Eldredge poses the question asked by many women in the church, “Where are all the real men?”Eldredge’s response is simply, “Why you’ve asked them to become women.”

My life has been enriched by older "real" men who have mentored and discipled me. Last week I spent some time catching up with my high school pastor, Dennis Boel. I shared with him my first year ministry experiences at NMBC and updated him on my family. Our conversation ended with him praying for me over the phone. I hung up with a renewed awareness of God’s many blessings in my life and greater boldness for ministry. I experienced again the truth of James 5:16, “The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.” (NAS)

Listen to this recent message by John Piper given at the Desiring God 2012 Conference for Pastors entitled, “The Frank and Manly Mr. Ryle” — The Value of a Masculine Ministry. The final point in Piper's message is, "A masculine ministry models for the church the protection, nourishing, and cherishing of a wife and children as part of the high calling of leadership." Whatever personal fulfillment we receive from the pursuit of our masculine call, our greatest motivation is the fulfillment of our duty to protect and provide for those God has entrusted to our care. Enjoy.

No comments: